Tuesday 21 October 2014

The end of the Broadway era as recorded by Brian Parsons in his Spotters Notebook.

Jo,
As promised I've attached a copy of the page, in my train spotting notebook, which covers the day I took the photo of 3847 in November 1963(*). Also, you will see that two weeks later on Sunday 1st December I saw ex Midland 48088 'on a train clearing scrap from Broadway station'. I've no memory of that day but I guess the line was closed to other traffic whilst they loaded the demolition debris.
Brian





Just for fun I've attached my sound clip of 6918 Sandon Hall which I recorded at the Broadway station site in 1965. I was using an early portable, reel to reel, tape recorder which accounts for the very poor quality by today's standards. According to the notes I made at the time it was hauling ten coaches of the 10.05 Wolverhampton to Kingswear express.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The quality of the sound clip is totally immaterial! - this evocative sound from the past of a train passing through the original Broadway station, with all the imagery it conjures up is absolutely amazing !! it brings more to the imagination than any photograph ever could.

Bill said...

Absolutely!

Anonymous said...

Amazing sound clip. The sound quality adds to the authenticity of it.

What a find!!

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating!

Anonymous said...

On 20th October 2014 Class 73 E6036 went to Cheltenham Race Course station with a Toad brake to collect a number of wagons from the Hunting Butts headshunt.
This represents one of the first moves towards laying the extension to Broadway

BRING IT ON!